home about link love contact
Photobucket

Friday, March 12

Comfort food: 'big girl' mac & cheese!

Ok y'all the other day I mentioned that I was in desperate need for mac & cheese... Well, the Cooking Light recipe I tried was DELICIOUS!!! So I just had to share!

Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese

- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBS. all-purpose flour
- 2 C. fat-free milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 C. shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/3 C. grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 5 C. coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 C. hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 C. uncooked)

Preheat oven to 350. Place bread in food processor; pulse until bread is coarse crumbs. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced onions and minced garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil and cook until thick. Remove from heat, and add cheeses, stirring until melted. Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly.

                    - from Cooking Light's The Best of Cooking Light



So I made a few changes.... First, I used swiss instead of gouda because it's a little less expensive, but equally as good! I also used breadcrumbs that I had in my fridge instead of making my own... Just a little easier to skip that step! Plus less cleanup!

Hope y'all enjoy! I know that Bryan and I did!

No comments: